VOLUNTEER WITH GLEAN
Be at the core of what we do.
Serving as the vital link between food waste and food insecurity, gleaners gather up fresh produce from a source (grocery store, farm, etc.) and immediately deliver it to a recipient site (food pantry, hunger agency, neighborhood ambassador, etc.) where it can be distributed to those in need.
Step 1: Fill Out a Volunteer Profile
Complete a volunteer profile to let us know who you are and how you’d like to help.
Step 2: Participate in Volunteer Training
- Watch our virtual training video. This training covers how our gleaning works and how you can get involved.
- Watch our pandemic safety video. This video covers how to glean safely during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Step 3: Choose How You Glean
There are a variety of volunteer opportunities to choose from. After you sign up for an opportunity that works best for you, get in touch with your regional coordinator who will walk you through your first gleaning experience.
- Scheduled Gleanings: Find and sign up for regularly scheduled gleaning opportunities at farms, farmers markets and groceries.
- Rapid Response Team: Join our Rapid Response team to receive text message alerts about on-call gleaning opportunities.
- Plant It Forward: Dedicate part of your garden to gleaning purposes.
Step 4: Record Your Gleaning
After gleaning, volunteers fill out this short form to help us collect data.
Step 5: Stay in Touch
If you run into any questions or concerns while gleaning, call your regional coordinator. He or she will get back to you promptly. Glean Kentucky always has staff members on-call to assist with gleaning.