Volunteer gleaners are the core of what we do at GleanKY. Serving as the vital link between food waste and food insecurity, gleaners gather up fresh produce from a source (grocery store, farm, etc.) and immediately deliver it to a recipient site (food pantry, hunger agency, neighborhood ambassador, etc.) where it can be distributed to those in need. Here’s how you can join us:
Step 1: Fill Out A Volunteer Application
Complete a volunteer application to let us know who you are and how you’d like to help.
Step 2: Attend A Volunteer Training
- Glean With Us: Learn how to glean with us ‘in the field’ – either at a grocery, or on a farm. To schedule a time to get trained with a GleanKY staff member, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org – we’ll work with you to find a time to get together.
- Find A Training Session Near You: Each year, we hold trainings in communities throughout Central Kentucky. We’re constantly adding new dates to our training schedule, which can be found online at gleanky.org/trainings
- Train Online: If you’d like to get trained right now, you can go through our ‘virtual training.’ To get started, watch our online training video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LHABwtWjfY
Step 3: Choose How You Glean
You can volunteer with GleanKY in one or more of the following ways:
- Scheduled Gleanings: Find and sign up for regularly scheduled gleaning opportunities at farms, farmers markets and grocery.
- Rapid Response Team: Join our Rapid Response team to receive text message alerts about on-call gleaning opportunities.
- Plant It Forward: Dedicate part of your garden to gleaning purposes.
Step 4: Record Your Gleaning
After gleaning, volunteers fill out this short form to help us collect data.